HAMILTON, I. ... et al., 2014. The emerging cannabis treatment population. Drugs and Alcohol Today, 14 (3), pp. 150 - 153.
– The purpose of this paper is to examine recent trends in presentation to treatment where cannabis is identified as the primary drug.
– Data is drawn from the recently published Public Health England report and supplemented with Home Office and European data.
– The data shows a marked increase in presentations for cannabis treatment over recent years. The authors offer some potential explanations for this trend.
– The authors need to improve our understanding of the type of cannabis that is available and how specifically it is used. In parallel there is a pressing need for an evaluation of evidence in relation to treatment for problematic cannabis users.
– This paper highlights this recent trend in treatment presentations, offers some potential explanations and makes associated recommendations.