HASSAN, A., 2003. Effect of sanitation system on groundwater. IN: Harvey, P. (ed). Towards the millennium development goals - Actions for water and environmental sanitation: Proceedings of the 29th WEDC International Conference, Abuja, Nigeria, 22-26 September 2003, pp. 28-31.
This paper discussed shallow well monitoring
to find out :
1) Whether existing sanitation systems are polluting the
selected hand dug wells water supply sources .
2) The nature of pollution hazard in terms of microbiological
(coliform) and some physicochemical parameters.
3) The lateral distance from possible soak-away / pit latrine
to the shallow well.
4) The static water level of selected shallow groundwater
5) Recommend possible solution to the problems regarding
groundwater contamination .